4 Month Update
It is hard to believe I have been a librarian now for four months. It seems like I just started yesterday, but when you look at the numbers I have almost been here half a year. As the saying goes, time flies when you are having fun, and I am truly having fun.
Here is a small look at the things I have done and learned since arriving last November:
- Joined the RIG group of librarians which promote research and publishing
- Attended various meeting and tried to make myself known by people around the library
- Learned the intricacies of being a “faculty-equivalent” librarian
- Cataloged a lot of physical and electronic books
- Began creating a poster presentation with a colleague about a signature database we use
- This presentation was accepted at TLA and we are waiting to hear back from ALA
- Began researching genre terms for table top games with two other librarians
- Took over responsibility for facilitating the physical book workflow in the cataloging department
- Learned about and took classes on the new BibFrame standard being created by the Library of Congress
- Was nominated for a seat on the UNT faculty senate
- Dealt with the interesting quirks of the UNT Library Annex Building
- Participated in the campus visit/interview of the new head of cataloging
- Began to adjust to the fact that I am now truly a colleague of the other faculty on campus
- Became cataloging liaison to the collection development area
- Became one of three liaisons for the libraries for the new UNT Faculty Information System
- Began to find out how I fit as a librarian into the profession
I have had a blast so far and I hope to continue to do great things and have a lot of fun while doing them!
Thanks for reading.